1. I love Terry Collins, but sometimes he just has had too quick of a hook with some of his starters. I honestly don’t care about getting relievers work just because they have not pitched in a few days. If your starters go deep into games every game, then let them. Niese was cruising against the Yankees and his quick hook at 100 pitches ended up costing them the game when the bullpen came in and blew it.
2. I’m really tired of all the Jason Bay talk. I have to say I am actually getting sicker of hearing how he has unperformed, than I am upset over the money we gave him. He is awful, plain and simple. Play him for a few more weeks and then if he continues to be as bad as he has been, then he hits the bench or plays in a platoon against lefties.
3. Man, if Jordanny Valdespin could only play shortstop. Omar Quintanilla has played fairly well, but Jordanny has much more offensive ability then he does. Valdespin’s impact bat could be so much more of a benefit to the team, but Terry can’t trust his glove.
4. The sweep at the hands of the Yankees was yet another reminder of how long we have to go. The Mets have played well so far this season, and have really over achieved. The Yankees are just a notch above, and have just too much talent for the upstart Mets to compete with them. Let’s just be thankful that we are not in the AL East.
5. Scott Hairston has been amazing. He has been a godsend this season and has helped provide power and production that we have been missing with the absence of Bay and the poor play of Ike. Sandy did an outstanding job with the Hairston signing, especially when you realize that he is only paying him a shade of $1 million.